Story behind ALC
African Chess Lounge (ACL) was founded in 2011 by Mr. Reuben Salimu an esteemed chess expert and trainer. Mr. Salimu is an instrumental developer of community-based chess, an author, chess choreographer, and tournament organizer with the mission of Uplifting People and Communities through chess. Mr. Salimu began the organization with 5 subscribed members but now boasts five (5) trainers, three (3) administrative staff, and 87 subscribed members in addition to the thousands who have passed through ACL in some shape or form.
ACL recognizes chess as a life skill that encompasses life and business principles. We use chess to enhance the quality of life and to tackle societal issues such as; lack of direction and focus amongst the youth and to ease stress on parents and communities.
ACL is endorsed by Grand Master Artur Yusupov. We have produced 8 Titled Players (4 males and 4 females). We have won the Western Cape league 2 years back to back. In 2020 we are competing in the International Chess League and have fostered networks to expand our international reach.
We are proud to be actively making a difference however as we are growing significantly, we need your support. With your generous help we can continue to be impactful locally and globally.
Your donation supports many ACL services:
- Instructors from ACL provide chess classes that teach fundamental chess elements.
- We promote educational values that are imparted via chess.
- We focus on chess fundamentals that incorporate lessons on critical thinking, planning and logic.
- Our students are encouraged to demonstrate sportsmanship and to strive for success, in the classroom, over the chessboard, and in life.
- Emphasis is placed on reflection and cognitive development through mental exercises.
- We formulate high-performance chess programs for schools geared towards participation in the provincial chess team.
- We train professional chess coaches ranging from beginner coaches to intermediate and advanced.
- We have created employment opportunities and pay staff weekly allowances.
- ACL offers assistance in the inception and management of chess clubs and tournaments.
- The bulk of ACL’s costs go towards the maintenance of the platform and maintaining an online presence.
- We also conduct extensive research that enables the organization to be well run and also create training manuals in different respects
- ACL promotes and hosts internal and external chess events.
- We examine social betterment via chess to ensure the success of our programs.
- We are an intricate part in social impact initiatives through our networks such as girl and women empowerment initiatives amongst many others.
Children and adults who start playing chess at a young age gain increased; focus, self-confidence, patience, logical thinking skills, imagination, problem-solving skills, memory (especially spatial memory), mental agility, and mental resistance.
Support of well-wishers like you is crucial to our efforts for continuity and growth.
Thank you in advance for your contribution.
Donations can be made online at African Chess Lounge